Saturday, April 19, 2014

Broken

This week has been an adventure to say the least.

When it rains it pours.

The only way to explain this week is by several short stories.

Sunday: (who needs a car?)

Sunday James worked and it was my first Sunday teaching the CTR 4 class (Gwenevere's class: my new calling).  To make sure everything went smoothly the plan was to leave  for church 20 minutes in advance.  The morning was busy. When i had the snacks packed, lessons supplies packed and  all three little ones in car seats,  we had 15 minutes before church started.  Things where going smoothly.  I reached in my bag to find my car keys but they where not their.  I ran into the house and looked in all the usually places but still no luck.  With time running out I grabbed our spear keys and ran out the door.

Slight Digression:  Our spear car key is temperamental.  It does not always work.  It won't always turn to start the car.  Usually after about 5 minutes of trying and a Little One saying a prayer or two (they like to do that when the car won't start) it turns on.

I put the spear key into the ignition and in one smooth motion the key turned and the car started.  It was a miracle.   We made it to church with minutes to spear.  I found some friends to set next too and sacrament went as smooth as it could go.  

When we got back in the car after church the key wouldn't turn  We tried for an HOUR.  Grace, Gwenevere and I took turns saying prayers. It has never taken that long to work before.  I tried all the tricks I new.  Finally my visiting teaching partner Kim offered to give us a ride home.  I was sure that once I got my original key everything would work out.  

As we where driving home I couldn't help but think "Heavenly Father why couldn't you just start my car?"  Immediately I had a thought reply.  "You asked for help and I'm sending you Kim, she's way better than a car that works."  I chuckled at His remark and couldn't argue there.  Kim is an amazing women who I love very much.

When we got to the house I fed the girls lunch and put Everett down for a nap.  I found the original key on the bathroom counter then I called my neighbor Cassie.  She drove me back to the church while Cassie's sister Shelly watched my kids for me.  (We truly live in Zion).

When I got back to the car, the original key wouldn't work either. I was so sure it would have worked I was dumb founded.  We where planning on meeting James at a park to have a bbq with friends later that evening.  But now I had no way of getting there.  Grrrr.  when it rains, it pours.

Cassie drove me back home and then let me barrow her car so we could still meet James at the park.  We had a wonderful evening that made up for the broken car.

Monday: (In the need for service)

On Monday the missionaries asked us if we could help them do a service project for one of our neighbor that lives behind us.  She was a widow who's lawn had been over grown and needed some help.  The missionaries came over around 6:30 and for Family Home Evening we took our mower and other yard supplies down the alley to our neighbor's house.  It was a good experience for the girls to help serve someone in need.  But with two lawnmowers and a weed whacker going I decided to take the girls (and Everett) to get some Popsicle for everyone instead.  We enjoyed our treats and visiting with our neighbor.  She is an interesting lady.   James came up to me shortly after the kids and I had returned from getting Popsicles and told me to take the girls home.  It's better to be safe than to be sorry.  It was getting late and the girls needed to get ready for bed.  When James came home he was a little frustrated.  I asked him what was wrong and he said:  "Our lawnmower is broken."

yep, now we had a car and a lawnmower broken.  James had ordered parts for the car and was already busy with taking care of that.  He hasn't had time to what figure out what the lawnmower needs.

Despite our misfortunes we where both pretty upbeat.  We both got a good laugh at the irony of the whole situation, because, when it rains, it pours.

Tuesday: (Poor Grace)

Tuesday morning our friend McKenzie called up asking if Grace could have a play date with Mabel.  This was perfect.  I took Grace to Mabel's house and then took Gwenevere to swim lessons while James (who had the day off since he had worked on Sunday) worked around the house.  While I was at swim lessons with Gwenevere and Everett, McKenzie called.  I didn't have any reception so I didn't know until after the fact.  When we got home Grace was with Papa and the story unfolded.

Grace and Mabel had a great time  playing together.  (This may have been the first time Grace went to a friends house without Gwenevere.)  They ate lunch and then it was time for McKenzie to bring Grace home.

Grace can be very stubborn and weary of new things, a trait she gets from me.

When Mckenzie tried to get Grace in the car, Grace flipped out.  She refused to get into the car. McKenzie tried to reason with her and Grace could see there was no other options.  Kenzie had tried calling me to see if I could come get Grace since she was having a hard time.   Seeing that their was no other options Grace bolted down the driveway and into the road tears streaming down her face.  She was determined to get away from the situation.  Kenzie chased after her and forced her into the car. They came back home and Papa comforted Grace.  It was a very traumatic experience that made James and I both laugh, but it was sad seeing Grace so stressed out.

Shortly after returning home Grace started throwing up.  I figured it was because of her stress and anxiety.  It really did take Grace several hours to calm down from the experience.

At the end of the day Gwenevere started throwing up too, that's when we realized Grace was actually sick.  Since we didn't want Everett to get sick too, James decided to sleep upstairs and help the girls while I slept down stairs and took care of Everett.  Before going to bed I decided it would be better for me to go to the store and pick up some Pop, just in case the girls needed soda to sip on.

Several times in the night I woke up to James walking around upstairs.  The girls had been throwing up everything they tried drinking.  It was a rough night.  At 2 am I decided to go back to the store to get soda crackers and some ginger tea.   James called in sick the next morning and spent the day cuddling little ones while they laid in bed almost lifeless.  At some point that night, James gave both girls a blessing.
I think it's funny that James fell asleep with his phone. 


 Wednesday: Hump Day

Wednesday was spent washing laundry, and cuddling sick ones.

Thursday:  Things go wrong in THREEs

One thing I learned as an apartment manager is "Things break in Threes".

James went into to work on Thursday the girls where up out of bed and feeling better.  I could see the light at the end of the tunnel and could tell that our wonderful plans for the weekend would not be interrupted.

Then 10:30 am rolled around.

 Everett was refusing to take his morning nap and Grace was in tears about everything.  She kept crying "Hold me Mama, hold me."  Yep that's when i realized we where not out of the woods yet.

I called up Papa and asked for reinforcement.  Grace and Gwenevere needed cuddles and I'm the worst when it comes to sick kids.  I truly try to have patients but when it comes to sick kids, all patients go out door.

James came home after lunch and the girls soon felt better snuggling on Papa's lap where they belonged.

I once again took advantage of the help and went to work cleaning our house while Everett played.

I started more laundry, cleaned James and my bedroom, and started the dishwasher.   Later that evening I went back to the dishwasher to unload the dishes and noticed that the water hadn't drained all the way.  I called James to come take a look.  Sure enough our dishwasher had stopped working.  hahahah can you guess what i'm about to say?  When it rains, it pours.

James had fixed our dishwasher before and it was a pain.  You could see the color run out of his face when he realized he'd be doing it again.  :-(

That night we lay in the girls room snuggling our little girls and praying they would be feeling better soon.  For two days they hadn't been able to keep much food down.  Grace had become so week that she couldn't even sit up.  We thought about taking them to the Urgent care but it was too late, if we took them we'd need to take them to the ER.  We both kinda figured they'd be feeling better soon so we decided to wait a little longer.  James went and got some pedialyte the day before and I went and got some more that evening.  James called in to work that night saying he won't be making into work the next day.

As we sat in their room cuddling them, stroking their hair and listening to them breath I was in awe.  My love for them was shown to me and i felt an overflowing feeling of gratitude to be their mother.  As sad as it was to see them so sick I was grateful to have been giving the opportunity to serve them in such a capacity.  I'm so very thankful I was able to care for my girls, And ever so grateful James was by my side helping me.  I'm so grateful he works for a company that if family friendly.  They have been so kind to him and his needs as a father.

We went to bed shortly after cuddling and everyone slept well that night.


Friday: The wrap up

Friday we did our best to hang low.  By the end of the day both girls where going a little stir crazy. Feeling better and wanting to get out of the house.  The weather was nice so we decided a walk around the neighborhood would be appropriate.


the view of the Port of Tacoma.  I like to imagine seeing Noah's ark next to all the big boats.


Everett's first time riding in the bike trailer.  he loved it

Gwenevere got to ride in the Ergo.  Lucky girl


Conclusion:

Our weekend plans flew out the window.  Charlie didn't come up with Max, and Austin and Michelle stayed home too.  It was a bummer but was for the best.

We didn't make it to the ward Easter egg hunt, which makes me doubly grateful that James took the girls to an Easter egg hunt the previous week.  (a blog post about that soon.)

We where lucky enough to have Max come up though.  We love hearing about their family and seeing all the wonderful things the Lord has in store for them.  Max is a wonderful father and a very hard worker.

Despite the craziness of this past week.  We've truly enjoyed the time we've had as a family.

In other news, Everett is doing great but please, please pray that he won't get sick.  what the girls had, and now what James and I have, i'm terribly afraid for his little body.  You're thoughts and prayers and greatly appreciated.  

Thanks for all your love and support.  Hopefully in a few weeks we'll have every thing fixed and ready to party.  :-)

2 comments:

rob said...


My heart went out for you over the weeks events, I wished I could of helped. I hope you have a happy Easter. Love Dad PS have James check if he broke the shear pin of the lawn mower. It is a plastic little "tooth" designed to shear if the blade hit anything hard. When we lived out in SE Portland I could replace one in about 5 minutes. (we had a lot of rocks in our yard. Its a .50 fix.

James and Elizabeth said...

I figured this blog post was too wordy. to say it in short terms, last week our car broke down, our lawn mower broke down, Grace and Gwenevere got sick, our dishwasher broke down and then I got sick. LOL this week is looking better.