Monday, September 14, 2015

10 year anniversary adventure part 1 :Visiting Drain OR

To celebrate 10 years of marriage James and I decided to take the kids on a road trip.  But since we wanted to do some camping while we traveled we decided to purchase a little motorcycle trailer that the Saturn could pull to carry all our camping supplies.  James worked to install a tow hitch and wired the lights for the trailer. 

Sunday after church we raced home, loaded up the car, attached the trailer and set out on an adventure. We stopped by McDonald's on the way out of town the one and only time we ate fast food the entire trip.  





We arrived at Red Grandma's house around 11 pm, all the kids where asleep and we transitioned them into bed without any wake ups.

Day one was a success.

Then next morning the kids were so happy to be at Red Grandma's house.  They played and ate breakfast while Papa repacked the car and got everything ready for the big day.

We headed out of town around 10 am.  The kids listened to a book on CD while James and I shared a set of head phones and a podcast.  We took a rest stop right after Eugene OR and the kids enjoyed playing with the acorns from the trees before getting back in the car.


Shortly after our rest stop we arrived in Cottage Grove.  I showed them my old church building and  I told stories from my childhood while we drove through the town.

The next stop we made was in good old Drain OR.  Sooo many good memories, so many good friends, I couldn't help smiling the entire time.

my old house
We drove by my old house and I told the story of how I killed a baby deer, I told them stories about playing in the loft above the detached garage, I told them stories about rollerblading all around the town with my friend Debra Edger, I told them about Auntie Grace and her Friend Jo.  I told them about walking to school everyday and carrying Alisha when she was tired.  I told them about the cougar warnings we had in the fall and about playing capture the flag in the apple orchard that is no longer there.  We drove by the elementary school and then stopped by the Anna Drain Park to have lunch and to get some wiggles out.















Shortly after leaving Portland that morning we found out there were complications with our reservations at the resort we planned on staying at.  So while we were visiting Drain we decided to go check out the Library and see if we could figure out a solution using the library computers.  I'm so glad we stopped by the Library.  The kids had a blast and James was able to figure out everything.

Now we could rest easy the rest of the trip with or without cell phone coverage.  


The library is right next to the civic auditorium so I got to show the girls the stage where I performed an American Girl play "Actions Speak Loader than Words"  I think it's the Meet Samantha Story.  This is one of the girls favorite stories from my childhood. they often ask me to tell them about the plays I have been in.

We also stopped to see the cover bridge I used to ride my bike through to get to the Library.  I was sad to see it wasn't open to the public at this time, hopefully it won't be closed for good.

 After touring the town we made one last stop, The Vickory Home.  Meghan and I were good friends and her parents are AMAZING.  I was so excited to introduce my kids to Mr. and Mrs. Vickory.  We have received many care packages from them throughout our marriage:  a moose cookie cutter with all the ingredients to make gingerbread cookies, Rain boots for Gwenevere when we moved back to the Northwest and a book for Baby Grace when she was born.  The cutest hot coco cups (a set of five, two big and three small) when Everett was born and many more.  We visited with Rodger (Mr, Vickory) while Candy made some amazing Lemonade and we toured their new additions to their cottage (Candy's amazing sewing room and Rodger's lofty loft) before saying goodbye and heading forth south on our adventure.


Once we were back in the car Everett and Grace fell asleep and we drove to Joseph Stewart State Park at the south end of Crater Lake.

We arrived at the camp ground just before sunset.  The kids took turns helping Papa drive around the camp ground while we picked a camping spot.  James quickly set up camp and we ate dinner around Great Green Grandpa's lantern before going to bed.  Everyone was happy.



Day two was a success

1 comment:

Max and Rebecca said...

Wow, this already sounds like an amazing trip, what fun to bring your kids to the place you grew up and that's so cute that they love hearing the stories of your childhood. So many great photos too! I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip.