Sunday, December 19, 2010

Beginning of a project

This is James and I thought I would share what a graduate student does once the unrelenting, nagging force of school work has been removed.  I have started working on Gwenevere's birthday present, nearly finished Elizabeth's Christmas gift, done research on near future car repairs (left CV joint), and now this project.
Let me introduce you to my chair

 I bought this chair shortly after we got married.  I believe I paid $5 at a garage sale which is an amazing deal since a chair in similar condition could cost as much as $100-$200 ($600+ in perfect condition).  Its a Plycraft chair which is reproduction of the much more expensive Eames chairs made for Hermann Miller.
I plan on restoring the chair in two phases.  This Christmas break I will refinish the wood and and fix all the structural deficiencies.  The second phase will be reupholstering in leather and replacing the foam padding.  I wish I could do the whole job this break but leather is expensive (does anyone out there have an extra 60 s.f. of upholstery leather in preferably black or dark brown?). 


Gwenevere was very interested in the project and was of course a big help.

Stay tuned for future installment of the project

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go on the blogging James! You always have some kind of project, your so handy! Can't wait to see it finish and Gwenevere's birthday project!

Sandy said...

Go James! Always the carpenter. Something like another carpenter we think about this time of year. You're pretty close the same. Love you!!

James and Elizabeth said...

Nice work James. I wish we could do the whole chair in at once but I think it will be best to do it in two steps. That way you can get top choice leather when you refinish it.

Also Thanks for your help in cleaning the house this morning. The bathroom smell so good. :)

And last but not least. I would like to mention. James had a daddy daughter date with Gwenevere last friday. He's such a good dad.

Jenni said...

OH wow I bet it's going to look amazing when it is finished.

Sandy said...

The chair looks fantastic! Good work!