For two years, James has faithfully studied and researched his dream of becoming a bee keeper. A year ago James started attending the Beekeepers Association meetings once a month and has patiently waited till we had the money set aside and a perfect place to keep some bees (our back yard). The original plan was to start off with one hive. He ordered his bees a few months ago and has since been working on preparing the right place for them. Lately I'd been thinking we should order a second hive since he is already doing so much work. I mentioned the idea to James and he got really excited. When we where in Portland this past weekend he found a man saleing a Nuc (a small bee colony). The weather was perfect for setting up a beehive and the decision was made to go ahead and get one.
James woke up early Monday morning and drove out past Wilsonville to get his Nuc. He brought it back and the girls were fascinated by the humming the bees where making. One little bee got out and the girls quickly named it Anna. I'm sure all the bee will be named Anna eventually.
 |
| Driving home from Portland |
We got home from Portland around 2 pm James set the box outside and waited for them to calm down before transferring there honey cones into the new beehive. Within an hour the bees where bringing back pollen. Exciting stuff.
 |
| Add caption |
 |
| Picking flowers for the bees |
 |
| Watching Papa and the bees |
When the time was ready Papa got his smoker out, his white bee shoot and began the process of transferring the bees. The whole experience was very fascinating. the bees where very calm and no one was stung. The kids and I all got pretty close to the hive as we watched Papa work with his bees. I think I'm going to love having bees in my back yard.
 |
| Getting the smoker ready |
 |
| testing the smoker |
 |
| Add caption |
 |
| finding the Queen |
 |
| our new family |
 |
| Welcome home |
That night as Papa laid the girls down for bed Gwenevere asked "Today did you accomplish one of your dreams?" With a big smile and a happy heart Papa Replied. "Yes." Such a sweet moment for the two of them.
James will be getting his second beehive in two weeks. Stay tune!
3 comments:
So excited for you all and your hives!
That is crazy to have so many bees in your yard! I love how excited the girls were and that Gwenevere realized her daddy had accomplished a dream!
James I really like your bees! You are such a good father!
Post a Comment