So I'm 30 weeks along.
About 10 more weeks to go.
Yippee.
Baby is still very active and I'm starting to feel big. Trying to tell Gwenevere I can't pick her up because my tummy is so big is the hardest part so far, although sleep is beginning to get difficult as well.
As for my prenatal appointments. They are going well. I love my midwife, but I might not be able to stay with her. My platelet count dropped again and it can be difficult to increase it at this point in the pregnancy. I have another appointment with her on June 15th. We'll do another blood draw and see if all the protein I'm trying to consume is helping. If not, I'll probably start looking for another Doctor who can handle high risk pregnancies. I really want to have a home birth so please keep me in your prayers. As much as I want a home birth I want a safe birth, so that is why I'm looking into transferring care if my platelet count doesn't increase.
background on platelet count: if you're not interested in reading skipped down to the next paragraph. So a normal blood platelet count is between 450-150. I've always been on the lower side of things. At the beginning of Gwenevere's pregnancy my platelet count was 144. By the end of that pregnancy it was 115. Platelets help with the blood's ability to clot properly. Sometime low platelet counts mean there is something wrong with your liver. Other times it's caused by some rear genetic diseases. Sometimes when undergoing radiation therapy for cancer your platelet count will drop. We think the cause of my platelet count has to do poor protein intake and a distressed liver. That is why I have been working to increase my protein. Anyway, with this pregnancy my platelet count started at 124, low to begin with. two weeks ago I had another test to see what my level was at it was 101. If at my next appointment my platelet count has dropped again my midwife will do some genetic testing to see if that might be what's causing the low count.
James was saying that if a patient's platelet count drops below 80 they stop physical therapy until it increases because it's very dangerous. My midwife says if platelets drop between 50-20 a blood transfusion is needed. and it's easy to drop once your platelet count gets low. I don't think I'll need a blood transfusion but it's good to know when one would be needed just in case.
With Gwenevere's pregnancy I wasn't allowed to have an epidural because my platelet count was below the recommend 120, the lowest safe number. With my platelet count already at 101 it doesn't look promising. But my midwife who is LDS said to get a blessing, eat lots of protein 100-150 grams a day and drink an herbal tea that is very good for the blood. Miracles do happen, and I'm not afraid to ask for one, so we'll see. I'm trying to stay optimistic and realistic at the same time.
As for weight gain: So my goal at the beginning was to stay under 150. I started at 127. Right now i'm at 148 and so I don't really think it's realistic to stay under 150 but possible 155. That would be nice. I've been a big slacker with my workouts lately, mainly because apartment complex stuff has increased and I've been doing a lot of crafts lately. I have been going on walks with Gwenevere and James whenever it's been convenient just to keep moving. James' school has open swim starting June 20th so Gwenevere and I hope to go swimming a lot this summer. Until than I'll keep walking and try to eat healthier.
That's my pregnancy update in a nutshell. I've been going crazy cleaning house and sewing stuff. I want to get as much done as I can before I hit the "I'm so pregnant, I can't do anything" feeling.
Once I finally finish some of my many started projects I'll do a post. I'm so excited. It's so fun getting ready for another baby. Although to be completely honest I have thoughts of "What was I thinking, getting pregnant again, I already have the perfect baby." And yes we still call Gwenevere our baby.
Gwenevere is excited for her baby sister but I can tell she is in for some growing up. I think she can feel the time is getting closer. Gwenevere has never had an issue with Nursery but the last two weeks she has cried both times we took her to nursery. She has also been super attached to me, begging to be held, rocked, cuddled, read to and so on. She's beginning to be very winey at times. I feel for her, it must be hard wanting to grow up and be big yet be a baby still. I still feel that way sometimes.
okay so I wrote more than I thought I would, and now I really have to get of the computer and get to cub scouts. Wish me luck.
7 comments:
I love your 30 week belly!
Don't worry too much about your weight, you looked good when I saw you. :) I'll be praying for good platelet levels (I'm glad you explained that)! I hope you get what you want for the rest of your pregnancy and delivery. :)
Kids can sense when things are about to change. As close as James and Gwenevere have been it is imporant that he make a special effort towards her when the baby is born. I am sure he will.
Your desire to have the baby at home is to be commended. However sometimes we don't always get what we want. We will pray for you. We trust your judgement and the judment of your mid-wife.
You do look super cute! I love your self potrait and your cute pregnancy shirt. :) Wow I'm glad you told me all of that about platlet counts - I had no idea. I was wondering if Tessha was coming out to help towards the end? I thought you had mentioned it, but I don't remember if was happening or not...? We're excited to see you guys next weekend. I remember feelign "done" at week 34. From there to the end was the hardest for me.
You skinny thing. ;)
I may have hadthis conversation with you, but for the first few weeks, Colin felt like a very sweet, veray adorable intruder in our home. Now he feels very much a part of our family, and one of us, but getting used to having him here took some time for all of us. Aidan accepted him quite easily- now that he's mobile, following his big brother and "RUINING EVERYTHING, MOM!" it's a little different.
I will definitely keep you in prayers. This sunday, let's talk when we can get together and work on that quilt!
I have never heard of platelet counts before. I hope everything turns out in your favor and you can get your count back up. It sounds pretty scary. Good luck with everything. I love how you and me are so close together in our pregnancy's. Its fun to read your experiences that are pretty similar to mine.
Wow, I had no idea about that whole platelet count thing before. It sounds like they're monitoring you closely so you and baby can stay safe. Good luck with the home stretch. It's the hardest b/c you can see the light at the end of the tunnel but it's like all of a sudden you're going in slow motion to get there. :) Hang in there!
I love your picture and reading all about it. I can't say I've seen this blogsite before but I'll definately be reading more often.
Love you!!
Post a Comment