Friday, September 21, 2012

The Secret to a better night's sleep

A little Hello Kitty and some musical chairs, I mean beds.

This little family has been suffering from slept deprivation and I'm determined to find a cure.

History:  Grace wakes up between 3-5 times a night, she won't go back to sleep unless she nurses, so not cool.  Usually I'm so exhausted I just bring Grace into our bed.  Then both James and I don't get a good night sleep.  then about a month ago Gwenevere started waking up in the night 1-2 times.   So between 11pm and 6 am James and I are awaken almost every 1 and a half hours.

 The cure:  We bought a new mattress for James and I (a queen) for more room and better support.   James is sleeping much better and isn't so tired at work.   Yippee.  We then moved our old mattress into the girls room so Grace has someone to sleep with.  We bought Gwenevere and Grace a cute Hello Kitty comforter and they LOVE their new sleeping arrangements.






The Outcome:
Grace still wakes up 3-4 times a night.  But I'm able to crawl into bed with them instead of bring Grace into our bed.  We cut down the nursing during the day to two times, which I think is helping.  I'm hoping to get a few good nights sleeping and then I'll ween Grace from night time nursing for good.  My goal is to nurse Grace til she's 14 months so we have one more month to decrease nursing opportunities but I don't want to cut cold turkey.

Having Grandma Sharolee spend the night really helped.  I was able to reduce my milk supply but not dry up.

The plan is to give Grandma Sharolee old squeaky ( the girls bed) back and at that point we'll purchase yet another bed for the girls to share.  I think they really enjoy sleeping together.


So no more of this


and yes to more of this:


5 comments:

Rachael said...

Man, sleeping stuff is hard! I love the bedding, and how colorful their room is. Here's hoping for many good nights of sleep to come.

NelsonFam said...

Love this post :)

Jill said...

Hello titty! Love it and also hope more sleep comes your way.

Sandy said...

Live and learn. That's what it's all about. Good job.

Dan Thomas said...

You will never get sleep until your kids do.