Wednesday, December 3, 2014

My Health

Rebecca (my sister in law)  started using a workout program called  Beach Body and loves it.  She loves it so much that she decided to be a life coach and help others find their passion for working out.  I really do love to work out, but lately  it's been really hard to find the time and routine that works for me.  So when Rebecca invited me to join her online workout group I was hesitant and excited at the same time.

On day 4 of our group Rebecca Baertlein posted this: "Finding the WHY. We all had a reason we decided to take this step in bettering our heath. If we focus on WHY we took this step we are able to have more focus on our goals throughout this journey. What is your WHY?" 

Today (two weeks in) I finally wrote my response
I've enjoyed reading other peoples responses and have thought a lot about my why not really feeling a strong reason. Yes I want to be healthy for myself, and for my family, yes I want to enjoy all the good things in life, I want to be active when I'm older and forming good habits early is important for that, but none of that felt like my true "Why". 
Last night I was feeling really discouraged. I've dreaded doing my workout everyday this entire time. That is very disappointing. I've loved this group, and the eating healthy part, I've seriously improved my mind set which is great but I have not had a "wow that was a great workout" Since my first day. Instead working out has felt like pulling teeth lately. I thought maybe it's my workouts? Maybe if I found the right workout I'd enjoy it more, 
So I tried Hip Hop Abs which I really loved a few years ago prior to having kids, but that wasn't anything special, I felt like a waste of time. I tried Turbo Jam since I love to dance and figured this would be a good active workout. But still I felt incomplete after working out, so I've also been doing some Charlene Extreme because I really enjoy lifting weights, however I don't feel comfortable with her method. 
So last night after working out and feeling very disappointed and discourage, my WHY came to me. 
I work out because I LOVE to work out. I've never been good at motivating myself to do something I don't love. So I thought back on my past and looked back at the times I was the most active and healthiest. Each time frame consisted of my getting out of my house to exercise, weather it was riding my bike, running, swimming, taking an aerobics class or working out at the gym. 
I guess I'm a get out of the house and go kind of girl, So putting off errands in the morning so I can do my workout just isn't my thing. And waiting til the kids are in bed is to tiring. No matter how effective or popular the workout is I need to love it in order to be successful. 
This has been so good for me to realize. With three little kids all at home, my time is very limited, and my health is often put on the back burner. At this time in my life i justify not working out because my health isn't really an issue, but someday my health will be a big issue if I don't do something for myself right now. 
I've dreaded purchasing a gym membership since I'd also need to get day care and that would be so expensive. However knowing now that I will probably never enjoy the "stay at home to work out", it's time to re-prioritize and get myself out of the house to workout. I found two somewhat affordable gyms close to my home, which I'll need to look into. Or I've really been interested in doing yoga lately so maybe i'll look into getting a punch pass at a yoga studio. I think this is going to be the right move more me. For I dearly love to workout.


It's good for me to realize what I need.  In the past I've worked out at the stake center but now that Everett is walking I've had a hard time going since there is no one to watch him and it's the same as working out at home.  

I'm going to try and brainstorm ideas to work out at the stake center so that I don't need a membership but I'm also going to look into getting a membership with the discount James gets from his insurance.  Wish me luck on this adventure.  

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I've never joined a gym, just because of the money, and I can do a lot of things at home with free weights, our treadmill, and other exercise equipment. I have a few suggestions of work-out blogs and websites that you may like. There is a blog bertinator.blogspot.com She's a personal trainer in Texas, who is also on Facebook. She has a lot of free workouts that are fast and really work. She has a lot of challenges as well. Right now she's doing a 21 day ab, bootie, fat burner challenge. It's fun, and takes about 10 minutes out of the day. Another one is fitnessblender. They have YouTube videos and TONS of workouts that are meant to be done at home with minimal equipment. Anyway, I have found those two to be great resources in addition to my cardio. Good luck! We could probably get a work out group together somewhere. It's just finding a place (and everyone having kids) that is difficult.

Max and Rebecca said...

I'm so glad you found what works for you. And it totally makes sense, you are definitely someone that needs to leave the house daily while I am much more of a homebody. I still like out of the house workouts but it is much harder for me to stay consistent when I do that. Best of luck to you and maybe next time you are in town we can go on a scenic run again. That was so fun during the triathlon!

Jenni said...

I loved this post. I worked out from home in 2011 after Taylor was born, and it was hard. I did those Beach Body workout videos as well and I did love Turbo Jam, but I didn't always feel like it challenged me enough, or I would have to fight kids wanting to lay on me or do the workouts with me and getting in the way. I never felt like I got a break. So we would go walking in the stroller to get out of the house, and so walking was a big pat of my workouts then.

But now I just do the gym because with 3 I can't workout from home, I have on occassion but it is SUPER short. LIke 20 minutes of HIIT or something. And while Riley is sleeping. I really enjoy the gym though because it is the one part of my day that is 99% mine (it's not 100% because I still have to bring the kids with me and put them in the daycare hahaha). But I get 90 minutes to put my headphones on and sweat and not have to worry about someone climbing on me, or asking me for something and I can just think and concentrate on me for a bit. And for us moms, those moments are like NEVER. And Will fully supports me in this because daycare babysitting is way cheaper than a real babysitter hahaha, and he knows that I need the time for me. (and he goes on mega long 7 hour runs by himself so it's fair haha). Good luck...I hope you're able to find the solution that makes you the most happy! :)