To my Gwenevere
I want you to know that we've been preparing for your baptismal day your entire life. Papa even blessed you as a baby that you would be a good example to your younger siblings. this has been fulfilled in your everyday choices.
When you turned 7, I started a mental countdown in preparation for your first gospel covenant. We spent the year talking about the baptismal covenants, attending cousins baptisms, meeting with the Elder Missionaries, having Grandma help you make your dress, taking pictures at the Portland Temple, and teaching you about choice and accountability.
| Ember's baptism April 2015 |
| Preston's Baptism June 2016 |
![]() |
| Jace's Baptism July 2016 |
| Making your dress with Granma Thomas |
| Elder Duffin and Elder Hunter |
![]() |
| Portland temple |
A few weeks before you baptism, Bishop David Dickson called you into his office for a baptismal recommend interview. You weren't nervous one bit. You where excited to meet with him and go to mutual with Papa. I knew your testimony of Jesus Christ was growing and you where ready to make your first gospel covenant.
We got your Baptismal announcements in the mail about 2 weeks before your baptism. You helped address and stamp all the envelops. We sent over 50 invites to family and friends. You where excited to share your testimony and demonstration of your commitment to Christ with others.
After the dress was made, the interview done and announcements sent out it was time to outline the program. You where less than thrilled to make these decisions so you I helped out where you didn't care. You did request that Reagan Leavitt and a Cousin be the speakers for your program. It worked out perfectly for Reagan and Preston to be the speakers.
The rest of the program went as followed
Welcome to the Baptism of
Gwenevere Isa Roemhildt
February 4, 2017
Presiding ………………………………………………………………….Brother Russ Swannack
Pianist………………………………………………………….……………Auntie Jennifer Thomas
Chorister………………………………………………………………………………… Sara Leavitt
Opening Song: When I am Baptised
(primary hymn book 103)
Invocation……………………………………………………………..…….Grandpa Dan L. Thomas
Talk on Baptism……………………………………………………….………………….Reagan Leavitt
Baptism of Gwenevere
by Father James B. Roemhildt
Piano Music and testimony sharing
Talk on The Gift of the Holy Ghost……………………………….………….Cousin Preston Thomas
Confirmation of Gwenevere
By Father James B. Roemhildt
Closing Remarks………………………………...…………………………….Brother Russ Swannack
Closing Song: Families Can Be Together Forever
(Primary hymn book 188)
Benediction……………………………………..…………………………..Grandpa Robert Roemhildt
The day before your Baptism
Granma and Granpa Thomas, along with Auntie Alisha flew into town Friday afternoon. Grandma and I went grocery shopping for the last of the potluck lunch items and then we all made cookies.
We celebrated Papa's Birthday and Auntie Alisha Babysat you while Papa and I went on a little date. After putting you to bed I typed up and printed out your Baptismal program and then excitedly went to bed waiting for tomorrow.
Baptismal day
Saturday morning we woke up excited and focused on not rushing the day. We ate quiche for breakfast and then you got dress. While Granma brushed your hair you read your scriptures to her. When all the food and games where packed and all the dressed and ready for the day we drove to the Church.
My watch was running 10 minutes slow but I didn't know that, so we took our time getting settled while more and more friends arrived. Then it was time to start.
The Spirit filled my soul as I sat next to you and Papa. We sang our opening song and then Reagan gave the baptismal talk.
![]() |
| Reagan's Talk |
While Reagan shared with you each gift that comes from being baptized, Sara (Reagan's Mom) handed you a present to open. An "I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ" book mark, soap to represent becoming clean. easer showing you you can repent, colored pencils to mark your scriptures, a white teddy bear to remind you of the Holy Ghost.
Reagan's talk was heartfelt and pure. Just like you.
After the talk we made our way to the baptismal font.
There you entered the warm water and your jumped poofed up. Papa stepped on your toes, said the baptismal prayer with power for the priesthood, (as if the Savior was baptising you,) and you went under the water and then back up again.
As came out of the baptismal font you said, "the water was warm, it's getting out that is cold."
you undressed from your wet clothes and snuggled in a warm white towel as you dried off. You got dressed quickly and we went back into the primary room and waited for Papa. Once Papa came back into the room. Brother Swannack announced that Preston would give the talk on the Holy Ghost.
Preston spoke with a quiet voice but the spirit filled the room testifying of Christ as Preston shared his own personal testimony of the Holy Ghost.
After Preston's talk papa took you to the front sat you in a chair and gave you the gift of the Holy Ghost. Papa spoke while Grandpa Roemhildt, Granpa Thomas, Uncle Will, Jason Box, Nathan Day, Jim Pike, and Brother Swannack participated in the blessing.
Papa paused to make sure he was saying the exact words, you heard Brother Swannack whisper to Papa and then Papa pronounced the blessing upon your head.
After the blessing everyone helped set up tables and gather food. We all ate lunch and enjoyed hours of visiting with family and friends.
| You where so excited to open presents with Grandma Sharolee |
Sunday morning and afterthoughts
On Sunday you where welcomed into the Church. Brother Swannack who was presiding said your baptism was the "Event of the Year" meaning there was a great turnout. And it's true, you have blessed many lives because of your righteous choices and Heavenly Father is pleased with you.
to outsiders It may have looked like we put more effort into the potluck lunch following your baptism then the actually baptism but that is not at all true. The potluck was a breeze and your baptismal day was uplifting and enjoyable for the whole family.
One person asked me if I was a little nervous the day of your baptism. I'm sorry if I looked nervous I was not nervous at all. I loved every minute of your day. I felt the spirit and our Saviour's love for you the entire day.
Thank you for being apart of our family. thank you for the wonderful example of righteousness and compassion. You teach me daily what it means to love others.
I am so proud to be your mother and humbled to know you.
I know Papa loves you just as much if not more. He shows his love to you everyday as he reads books with you, takes you on adventures and works hard to provide a warm and safe home for you.
Grace loves you so much. She loves your patients with her, your willingness to include her when your friends come over, the way you show her new things during our school days. She loves that you let her be shy and you speak out for her when she's feeling shy. She loves that you often sleep in her bed with her and she loves that you share your bitty baby with her.
Everett sure loves you as a second mom. When I'm not good enough to help him he loves that you are there to help him. He loves that you can reach higher places and how you show him how to climb up high.
So many more family members wanted to come for your Baptism but roads where snowy and dangerous or baby was on the way. They love you. The people who where able to attend love you. And so many more love you.
Happy Baptismal day!


















2 comments:
A beautiful job as always.
Absolutely perfect record of an amazingly wonderful day. I'm so grateful that we were able to be with you and feel of the spirit on your baptismal day. We love you, too!!❤️
Post a Comment