Monday, February 27, 2017

Raising Everett age 3

 Everett does not like change.  This has been a fact since he was very little.  He's always been my hardest baby and at times I feel so confused and frustrated.  I don't know how to help him, I just try to be patient and loving and consistent.   Lately my frustrations and confusion has reached a new level.

Ever since switching to Sunbeams, Everett's behavior has been ten times worse.  I keep getting the prompting to step in and do something.  But every time I talk to the Primary presidency they turn me away saying he's fine.  They will figure it out.  He has an amazing teacher but her burdens are heavy and I wonder if I could help at all.  I called her up to talk about it and she says Everett is fine.  And she's got it under control.

I just hope she's a good fit for him.

Last week Everett took off out of his class and started running the halls.  I heard his teacher calling after him (I'm on the opposite side of the building.)  I was the only person in Nursery otherwise I probably would have left to go find him.  My heart didn't settle down until eventually someone caught Everett and brought him back to me after Church.  I hate feeling like I have no control over my child's environment.   I keep telling myself this is good for me.  I need to be able to trust others with my kids.  But everything in my body keeps telling me to step in and make a change.  I feel like i've tried and the only way for me to make a change is to simply remove Everett from Primary.   I really don't know what else to do.

James keeps telling me that it's not working in Primary and that something needs to be done.  He too feels like we're at a lose.  It's frustrating to feel hopeless.

Everett's anger and frustration and determination to control his environment has swept out over every aspect of his life.  He fights about everything.  He doesn't want to get dress, wear shoes, eat food unless it's his idea, he makes it or it's just right.  He went a whole week refusing to eat any kind of food except chocolate milk.  He throws huge tantrums about every tiny little thing.  He doesn't want to play with his friends anymore.  He just begs to see his baby cousin Benjamin who happens to live in Germany.

Everett says he feels angry, and mad.  He tries to hit, kick and bite.

Please don't judge my 3 year old.

I remember vividly worrying about Gwenevere at the age of 3.  We didn't go visit family because I didn't want anyone to see her tantrums.  I felt like a failed parent.   But it passed and things slowly got better.

With Grace I remember James coming home from work one summer's day and I was in tears.  I told him Grace was the worse and that I'd ruined her.  But that passed too.

A few weeks ago I was telling my friend I was afraid Everett was turning autistic, that he needed counseling and I needed help.  With frustration steaming through my body, my friend started laughing hysterically, immediately releasing my fears.

"Can you just imagine, Everett sitting on your couch, butt naked, sipping chocolate milk talking to his counselor?  'My mom, is angry with me, and I don't understand why.'"    With that vivid illustration from my friends point of view, I was once again reminded this too shall pass.

I know 3 year olds are hard.  I've done twice before and I can do it again.

I keep telling myself "Just get him to age 4"  baby steps.


No comments: