Thursday, October 6, 2011

"I'm not dead yet"

A good Monty Python quote makes any day better.


Wow.  I feel like I've fallen off the face of the earth.  Where have I been, you ask?  If I could remember I might feel incline to blog about it but my brain has decided to function at the speed of  a 1998 computer: it's still processing.


Thankfully my camera can remember what I have forgotten.  So here is yet another photo blog from the Roemhildt family.


James bought Gwenevere a marble maze at Value Village.
Gwenevere took this picture of Papa as they played with the marbles.

The marble maze is a favorite for Preschool too.

Speaking of Preschool.
It's been four weeks since we started Preschool and it's been a blast.
We've played with beads...


Used glued to make Hippo faces


Decorated post cards with thumb prints

Played dress up

made Caterpillars 



and much much more.

Not preschool related but still fun.
Gwenevere enjoyed playing in the wadding pool one last time with friend before summer ended.

Grace did not join in on the swimming but enjoyed sun bathing: kinda


While Gwenevere and I do Preschool 
Grace likes to Swing.
The swing has a mirror on it and Grace loves to look at herself and talk to herself.
It's so cute.

Gwenevere is such a good sister.
Gwenevere likes to help me take care of Grace
Here Gwenevere is brushing Grace's hair.

She also likes to take care of Buddis
Gwenevere took this picture of Buddis (the panda bear) and Grace

We are slowly getting ready for winter
 But the last weekend in September we pretended it was still summer
James took Gwenevere and her friend on a bike ride to the farmers market

 I joined them at the market and after some yummy veggie shopping we decided to have a picnic at the park.
The park had a water section and since it was still on we decided to let the kids get wet.




And that's how you end summer.




 Last Thursday my brother Will stopped by for a visit.  It was fun seeing him again and chatting for a while.  I can't wait for them to live a little closer again. '

Then last Friday we headed down to Portland for a weekend visit.  James biked 60 miles and I picked him up and we drove the rest of the way to Portland together.  We stay at James' Sister's house.  Becca and Max moved back to Portland in August and it was fun staying with them.  They even watched the girls Friday night so James and I could go on a date.  Saturday we watched conference and then had a baby shower for Rebecca.  It was fun to see so many fanno creek members and all of the Wilcox family.



After the baby shower Red Grandma Wilcox took us out to dinner at the Olive Garden.  We stayed up late Saturday night while James installed a new windshield motor in our car.  We haven't had a working windshield wipers for about a year.  We figured since we what to keep the car at least another year it was probably worth investing in a new motor.  I'm so glad James is such a handy man.  What should have cost us 100.00 only cost us 30.00.  


We drove home Sunday night and when we woke up the next morning it was Monday again.  This week has gone by so fast.


Gwenevere's fears have increased.  She seems to be scared mostly at bedtime and naptimes, she also gets scared during the middle of the day when she's playing and having fun.  Any parent out there that has some suggestions for us we could really use them now.


Gwenevere keeps telling us there is a man in her room watching her, and she cries so hard it's hard not to get scared by it myself.  We've tried turning on  the night lights but she cries because of the shadows the night light makes.  We've tried leaving the door open with the hall light on and with the hall light off, but options don't seem to help.  We try putting her to bed around 8pm each night but she cries until 10-11 before finally going to sleep.  We've tried helping her relax by taking deep breathes and counting to 10. She will almost fall asleep she's so relaxed but 5 minutes later she's crying again.  We've tried explaining that there is no man in her room but that doesn't really help.  We've tried telling her he's a nice man and she should sing to him, but that doesn't help.  We've said prayers with her, we've cuddled with her, which she likes but as soon as she leave the room she's crying again.  I hope this doesn't last every long, but if any one has any suggestions on what might help we would love it.


Tonight after 2 hours of her crying and us going in to comfort her every 30 minutes or so, we finally said "Here's Grace she'll sleep with you."  thankfully Grace was in a good mood and didn't mind hanging out in her own crib.  It worked.  Gwenevere stopped crying and went to sleep.  Grace didn't really cry much either.  It was a  sweet moment.  We did take Grace out of the room once she started crying just because we didn't want her to wake up Gwenevere. I've been wanting to have Grace and Gwenevere sleep i the same room but since Gwenevere can climb up into the crib and she's done it before I'm a little worried about leaving Grace in the room with Gwenevere along.  


Anyway, that's what we've been up to.  Hopefully I'll blog again soon. but til next time.  We love you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys always do such fun things!! Its so nice for you to have family so close!! Poor Gwenevere!! Paisley started wanting a night light a couple weeks ago but doesn't cry like that! That is kind of freaky...maybe have James give her a blessing or let her pick a new doll or toy that she can sleep with that will help her sleep or stay safe? I hope that gets better...I'm sure its hard on all of you.

Sarah said...

Elizabeth, your family is so cute. What adorable little girls you have!
Preschool looks like fun and I love the Thumb art.
I'm glad Grace will get some use out of her woolies! Unfortunately it looks like winter has come.
The boys keep going outside in their snowsuits so if it snows you will know who to thank, the last time they went out they were SURE it started hailing "at least", I guess that's what you get when you stand out in the rain in your snow gear staring at the rain willing it to snow - you start hallucinating.
Hopefully Gwenevers sleepiness comes back soon, there is a lot of stuff to think about being a big sister or brother I know sometimes I am surprised at what affects the boys and when. Sometimes if one of the boys are really freaking out and I don't know what's going on I will give them a rescue remedy lozenge, it always helps especially in the middle of the night when I'm not coherent enough to try to figure out what is going on.
You are an amazing mother, I'm sure you will figure out what to do. and even if you don't it doesn't make you any less amazing, sometimes I seem to only be able to learn from hindsight (sorry oldest child) :)

Jenni said...

Preston sometimes has scared moments in the middle of the night. He gets scared of the shadows next to his window, and has told me there is a guy behind the curtain. I just have to completely move the curtains and show him what is making the shadows and then he is okay. We have music playing in his room and he likes his heater on because it makes noise.

But I also have heard you can buy (or make) a special spray bottle that can be called whatever you want from "Protector Spray" to "Monsters Be Gone Spray". And that way they have a physical means of protecting themselves and helping to feel safe.

That is really neat that Grace helps her fall asleep though. That is so sweet :)

Dan Thomas said...

Sound like you are doing all the right things.