Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Home Improvements

Hello there,  yes, we're still here.  Moving along little by little on our home improvement list.  Actually things have picked up and the house is looking more like a house these days.  



After a long process of taping the ceilings.  James began the process of texturing EVERYTHING!




The texting only took a day and made a huge difference in the appearance of the home


I was able to prime the kitchen, the ceiling in the pantry and part of the girls bedroom


While James textured and I painted, the girls played


It was a very long busy day and both James and I found it funny that Grace fell asleep on the way home like this.   


While the girls and I went down to Portland, James spent the last weekend painting ceilings, water proofing the basement, taking out the carpet and prepping the kitchen floors for flooring 







When we returned home from Portland we spent Monday afternoon at the house working some more. I continued to paint the corners and details while James worked some more on water proofing the basement.

To keep Gwenevere and Grace entertained I gave them my camera to play with.  I have over 100 pictures of some of the funniest things, but I decided to spear you the time it would take to look at all of them.  
Here are a few of my favorites.




Today (Wednesday)  I went back to the house while a friend of mine watch the girls for a few hours and painted the final layer in the kitchen.  

This next week we have scheduled carpet measurements and ordering, 4 new windows to be installed, James plans to finish the kitchen floor and possibly the pantry and laundry room, and hopefully measurements and ordering counter tops.  

The Kitchen, pantry and laundry room flooring arrived on Monday and here is preview of what we hope it will look like.



As for counter tops, we've decided to go with a man made acrylic counter since the cabinets we ordered wouldn't hold up granite very well.

We love the idea of blue counter tops.  
This picture below is a terrible picture (if you happen to go to home depot and they have their white and blue kitchen display that is what this counter top will look like.  It looks lighter in person than in this picture and would add a little color to our black and white design.



But we've also played with the idea of a white counter top (I like this idea).  The kitchen is connected to the dinning room which is connected to the living room.  We've talked about painting the area green and I think the green coming right up to the black and white kitchen would clash with the blue counter tops.  Hence the white counter top would be more neutral.  And keep the kitchen looking larger especially if we go with black appliances.   

The third idea would be to do a black counter top, it would still give the kitchen a pop (like the blue counter top) but go well with the green paint.  We could then use white appliances to and contrast if we want.



  If we go with the blue counter tops we could use a yellow paint instead of the green in the living room but I'm not 100% sure if the yellow would look good with the pine floors.  

Anyway,  we have to some color expert friends who will come help me visualize the entire design all together.  I'm so excited.  But until we make a final decision (which will hopefully happen by middle of next week.)  What are you thoughts?

Thanks for viewing our progress.  Stay tuned for more updates.

Still to come:
James laying the flooring down in the kitchen and pantry areas,
Picking out carpet,
painting, painting and more painting
refinishing the hardwood floors
and 
installing carpet

Move in date estimated for May 4, 2013

3 comments:

Will Thomas said...

Looking good. You guys are making great progress.

Jenni said...

Oh I really like the blue countertops! And everything is looking so good. Yay!

Sarah said...

yay, it's looking so good. It's always nice when the project stops getting torn apart and starts getting put back together! I Love the blue countertops and you may be able to make it work with the right shade of green in your living room. The close up picture looks like there is a lot of green in it. Though I am probably the last person you should ask when it comes to interior design.