Monday, August 21, 2017

Eclipse Adventure with Cousins day 2

The day of the Eclipse arrived.  Max and I made breakfast while Rebecca watched kids outside.  Everyone was happy to be spending another day together.  We ate our yummy breakfast and then we realized the eclipse was starting.  We rushed kids outside to the front yard.  pulled out our solar glasses and took our first looks.  





After about 30 seconds the kids where done.  They wanted to go back and play.  I started to panic.  "Oh No."  I thought to myself.  "we drove all this way and my kids aren't interested.  What was I thinking."  I tried to persuade them to stay and watch.  but that didn't last long.  We changed plans.  We moved to the back yard.  The kids could jump on the trampoline and we could watch the eclipse.  A way better idea. 

I enjoyed having to change my camera settings every time I took more pictures because of the constant change of light from the eclipse. 






Jumping from the porch.  






About 10 minutes before totality we moved back to the front yard.  This was a good idea.  We saw crescent shadows and very faint shadow snakes.


what it actually looked like outside right before totality  
Then it happened.  Everyone took off their glasses and was all sighed in amazement.  I even let out a squeal of delight.  I couldn't help myself, what I saw was breathtaking.  My heart pounded and I was so happy to be witnessing this advent with my children.  All now very much amused and invested in our experience.  


We saw birds flying back to their nests.  We saw the North star and a few other stars in the sky.  We saw dusk all around the horizon.  We saw the bead around the outside of the sun. and then we saw the diamond as the sun slowly reappeared. 


Too soon it was all over.  glasses needed to be put back on again and kids started back to the trampoline to continue playing.  
Rebecca captured this sequence of events

Too soon it was time to make lunch.  I went back and forth between the kitchen and the back yard soaking up the rest of the eclipse and taking a few last pictures to remember this significant moment.  
We bought our solar glasses back in May when we where visiting Craters of the Moon National park

A selfie with my science loving Gwenevere

The view in which I watched the eclipse take place.  

After lunch I took my kids back to the bike park.  Max was helping his parents and Rebecca had a sleeping baby so they stayed behind.  The kids rode their bikes around the BMX track while I called james on the phone.  I told him all about our experience and he shared his with us.  He took his patient on a walk outside to watch part of the eclipse and then he watched totality on the TV in another patient's room.  He was happy I was able to go see the eclipse with the kids.  Although I missed him dearly I'm glad I decided to go.  For the past week prior to leaving I was really contemplating staying home.  Now everything was worth it.  The midnight drive, the confusion of decision making, the planning and replanning was not in vain.  We had the best experience thanks to Rebecca and Max.  

We returned back to Rebecca and Max's family's home shortly after 2pm.  I packed the car and we said goodbye.  It was time for us to head to the Oregon coast and begin a new adventure with Auntie Tessha.  it was a bittersweet moment saying goodbye to Rebecca and family.  It was so much fun to spend so much uninterrupted time together but alas it was time.  

We headed out east of Prineville and avoid almost all traffic.  For real.  The road was empty heading to salem Or.  I wanted to take a picture and post my post eclipse traffic on facebook but I had sleeping kids in the car and I didn't want to make any unnecessary stops.  

We arrived in Salem around 4pm.  We stopped at Walmart to pick up some camping essentials like an inflatable mattress. hehehehehe and groceries.

By the time we where done wondering walmart it was dinner time.  So we stopped at carl's jr for french fries and milkshakes.  Did I mention we where on vacation?  heheheheh

We started out towards the coast around 7pm  I needed to make my way up to Nehalem bay before 10pm.  Set up a tent while keeping my kids asleep and get rest.  Because I was very tired.  About half way to the coast I had an epiphany.  I called up Brittany (James' cousin who lives in Tillamook) and practically begged her for permission to sleep on their floor.  She too was super tired from waking up extra early to see the eclipse and after realized what I was asking she agreed to let us spend the night.  

We arrived at Brittany's house around 9pm.  I carried kids inside and laid them down on sleeping bags Brittany already set out for us.  OF course they woke up and where extra excited to be sleeping at their cousin's house. it took another two hours for all three to finally fall back asleep and for me to finally get some rest.  

It was a long fun day.  I hope never to forget.  



No comments: