Sunday, September 11, 2016

Elizabeth's Talk on Forgiveness



- introduce myself, and family tell the story about the rv on fire 

- Let's take a minute to review the last hour of our lives.

-within the last hour we probably finished getting ready for church.

-we walked out of our homes wearing our skirts or dresses, ties, slacks or some kind of set apart attire.

-most of got in a car, minivan, truck or motorcycles. Maybe we walked or took a bike

-but we all managed to go to the same building roughly around the same time.

-as we walked into this building we saw friends, family and acquaintances.

-we may have ran a quick errand to prepare for our classrooms or to talk with someone we've been thinking about.

-or we may just have ran straight for an empty seat as to not disrupt others as we began to prepare for the sacrament.

-The organist sitting by the organ played reverent hymns of worship while we focus our energy or lack of energy on becoming reverent in preparation of the sacrament.

Brother Swannack welcomed everyone and gave a few announcements and we proceeded with the sacrament.

-the young men prepared the sacrament while we sang (heartily or half heartedly the words to the hymn Tis Sweet to Ging the Matchless Love.

-We then folded our arms, (maybe helping a little one next to use do the same) bowed our heads and listened to the words of the sacramental covenant.

- after the words of the prayer had been said, we sat in reverences as silent prayers were raised toward heaven. Individuals repented, renewed promises and were cleansed through the atonement of Jesus Christ.



Kevin R Duncan a member of the quorum of the Seventy said “When we apply the healing ointment of the Savior’s Atonement, He will soften our heart and help us to change. If reference of Jacob 2:8 He can heal the wounded soul.

I've been ask to talk on forgiveness.

Just two weeks ago Brother Joe Lynn spoke in sacrament meeting about forgiveness. He said that he had spent all week preparing a wonderful talk. But the night before he realized this talk wasn't what he needed to talk about. He went on to talk about the subject of forgiveness. An aspect of the gospel that doesn't come easy for me. I really enjoyed his talk and felt good listening to him talk about his personal experiences working through the process of forgiveness.

I truly believe forgiveness is a process. It is important to recognize that grief, heartbreak, rejection and emotional pain are part of our earthly experience. Heavenly Father does not want us to pretend that we aren't affected by others wrongful behaviors.

For some, acknowledging the offenses of others, and then forgiving the offender might come easily. They can recognize they have been offended, acknowledge their feelings of hurt or pain and then quickly apply the ointing power of atonement.

While for others, it might take longer to work through the stages of grief and come to a place where they are ready to apply the Atonement of forgiveness.

Through my pondering of the subject of forgiveness the underlying thoughts that I've had was this

If you are in the process of forgiveness and it's been a slower processes then you wish, do not be hard on yourself. Keep trying to forgive and know that it is okay for you to have time to heal.

Miracles are real. They happen everyday but not all miracles are instant. Please remember this.

Elder Duncun said “Let us try to remember that we are all growing spiritually but we are all at individual levels.”


“God's love for His Children is perfect. He knows our potential for good, regardless of our past.

We all fall short and have need of grace, mercy and forgiveness. We must remember that forgiveness of our own sins and offenses is conditioned upon our forgiving others. The Savior said: in Matthew 6:14
“For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
I believe this process works in reverse as well.

I know I am not perfect.   Just like I am offended by others intentionally or unintentionally, I too offend others intentionally and unintentionally.

As I struggle to forgive those who have hurt me, I strive diligently to seek forgiveness from those I've offended.

As I reach out to those I have hurt and humbly ask for forgiveness, The atonement of Jesus Christ softens my heart and helps me in my process of forgiving those who have offended me.

In this way the Lord is helping me forgive others so that I too may be forgiven.

I would like to close with the wise words of Elder Duncun And I quote

"Forgiveness is the very reason God sent His Son, so let us rejoice in His offering to heal us all. The Savior’s Atonement is not just for those who need to repent; it is also for those who need to forgive. If you are having trouble forgiving another person or even yourself, ask God to help you. Forgiveness is a glorious, healing principle.

I witness of God’s enduring love and patience for all of His children and of His desire that we love one another as He loves us (see John 15:9, 12). As we do so, we will break through the darkness of this world into the glory and majesty of His kingdom in heaven. We will be free. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen". Un quote. 

No comments: