Monday, December 7, 2015

Seattle Symphony

On Saturday we surprised the girls with tickets to the Seattle Symphony to hear them perform "The Snowman".   I'm so glad we did it.  It was amazing.



Grandma Sharolee and Grandpa Don come up to watch Everett while we took the girls.  Thanks Grandma and Grandpa you're the best.

While we were at the Symphony Grandma and Grandpa took Everett to the mall.  The spoiled him with a car ride, candy, McDonald's and playtime in the play area.  I'm not sure who had more fun.



We were running late but traffic was perfect.  I led James to the wrong parking lot which was a bit nerve racking so he dropped us off while he parked the car.  This gave us lots of time to use the restrooms and explore all the many activities KOUW was hosting in the lobby.  The girls got play a violin and decorate snowflakes before the show started.  



James met up with us shortly and then we found our seats.  






Not our view but this gives you an idea of the theater.  
The Symphony started with the Sugar Plum Fairy song from the Nutcracker.  Gwenevere was the first person to recognize the song.

Then the projected the video of The Snowman on the large screen while the symphony performed.  It was a wonderful experience.  

There were a few times when the sound effects didn't quite match the video (like when the snowman sneezed) but overall it was a perfect performance.




I had so much fun sitting next to Grace during the performance.  She loved the glockenspiel, the bells, and the harp.  She whispered little things in my ear about the instruments she was hearing the whole performance.  James requested that he sits with Grace next time because she was so much fun to watch while she watched the performance.

My very favorite part of the performance was when Matthew Bratton a six grade boy soprano stood and sang "walking in the air".  It was the best performance I had ever heard.  He was amazing and he brought tears to the conductor's eyes.  I wish I could find a recording of him singing it.  It was truly amazing.

After the performance of the Snowman, the Seattle  Youth Opera performed a few christmas songs.  It wasn't anything special but in between their songs the Seattle Symphony played a few more songs and that was nice.  


At the end of the performance Santa came on stage.  Grace kept telling me that he wasn't the real Santa but made it very clear that Santa WAS real.  She is such a thinker.  




When we came out of the concert hall the pictures that the kids helped make where framed and hanging on display.  So COOL. 

I tried to get a picture with all of us but Gwenevere wanted to take the picture and Grace wanted nothing to do with a picture so it turned out to be a picture of me and my man.  I'm okay with that.  


After the performance we walked a few blocks in the rain and found a Soup and Sandwich shop to eat lunch.  

Gwenevere had chili, James and a sandwich, Grace had a salad and I had a broccoli chowder.  We were all satisfied 


Playing around while waiting for Papa and Gwenevere to return from the restrooms.  
 Everyone had a great time, and we're excited to see the Seattle Symphony perform Peter and the Wolf March 12th.

No comments: