Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"Plans are meant to be changed"

I once was given a blessing where I was told by my Heavenly Father, that "plans are meant to be changed".  I have often wonder what that means, and I guess it just means we need to willing to accept the Lord's plan even though we are told to plan and be prepared. 

With that being said, 

James and I have been planning a home birth.  We have told some, but we haven't really shouted off the roof top our plans.  

When we have shared our plans we have had several negative and sometimes hurtful comments and remarks.  These remarks, said with good intentions, have left us at times confused and concerned.  Today my sweet sister asked me "Why we wanted a home birth?"  And for the first time I was able to express what I wanted to say.  So thank you.  

This is my response to her questions

I don't know if I can really explain why I want a home birth.  To me, it's very personal and I don't feel like I should try to explain because it's a personal thing, between my heavenly father, James myself and our child to be born.  I've tried to share my thoughts with others and whenever birth stories are brought up, it seems like the worst horror stories are told.  I've been judged by many and I've felt hurt and confused.  That is when the Lord has stepped in and has taken my hand in the processes.  He has confidence in my choices and I must have the faith to believe in him. 

I want the baby to come into this world in the most comfortable environment I can create and the home just seems to be the right place for us.  

To be perfectly honest, I really don't like hospitals.  And on a somewhat selfish response  I don't want to have an IV, I don't want to be monitored by machines, and I don't want the after birth screenings that are required at hospital.  I HATE the security chips, the 24 hours observation afterward, and I Hate the feeling of bring a prisoner.  I guess my feelings of a hospital are a little bit different than (some). 

With Gwenevere I was so uncomfortable being in the hospital that I didn't eat and couldn't sleep and my body yearned to go home, but I was told I had to stay at least 24 hours.  It wasn't fun, and I missed my home more than any other time in my entire life.  And on top of that I missed sleeping in the same bed as James.  I felt so out of place, I wasn't able to really rest and recover like some.  And the Recovery is so important. 

I can tell you all the reason I don't want a hospital birth but the choice for a home birth is more than that.  I just don't know how to really explain it.  A home birth is somewhat different and therefore not as easy to explain.  Especially because many of my friends and family members have had complicated births and wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for the medical technology and hospital systems that we have today.

But with that said, a home birth is going to be a LOT of work, and I want to make sure that the work is worth it and if not, than I'll give up some of my wants and go with a hospital birth. 

I also have some health concerns and I don't want to put my baby at risk so if it's better for me to be at a hospital, that's were i'll be, but the Lord is by my side and I'll follow him.  If he believes I can have a healthy home birth, than so do I. 

Like I said earlier, I really don't know which way the Lord is leading me.  A week ago I got a strong impression to visit another hospital.  So yesterday James and I took another hospital tour.  And now the Lord is telling me to get to the temple.  I don't know the meaning of all this but I know He's by me, leading me in this process and teaching me each step of the way.  I can almost hear His voice.

I still feel comfortable pursuing a home birth at this time.  The end result isn't as important as the lessons I'm learning in this process.  I'm very humbled by this process and I'm grateful for my Heavenly Father's active parenting.

It's been a great testimony building process and I'm happy to have the faith to follow.  I'll plan all that I can and than the rest will be in the Lords hands.  

6 comments:

Rachael said...

We are so lucky to live in a time where there are so many choices, aren't we? Clearly you aren't taking this decision lightly. You'll know what's right, especially approaching it the way you are.

Sandy said...

You'll never go wrong when you trust in the Lord and follow His promptings. We're excited for you and the birth of our new little grand-daughter. Whatever you decide, we know it will be just right for you.

Dan Thomas said...

I know you and James know this but the Lord can see things that we can't! Just fallow the spirit and do whatever you FEEL best about. No matter what that is! You will be fine.

Jenkins Family said...

I get so much comfort knowing that we can rely on the Holy Ghost to help us make decisions. I don't know how I would do big things without that direction. Good luck on your journey.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what people would judge when it is not their decision to make. You seem to know what is best for you and your family. A home birth seems more intimate and personal, and I'm sure you could handle it. You seem very good at listening to the guidance of the spirit. More power to ya Elizabeth. :)

The Boxs said...

Good for you, I respect you for wanting to do what Heavenly Father wants you to do and doing what you feel is right. And of course if you need me or anything I am here for you. You are always in our thoughts and prayers.